Located within Nelsons Old Naval Dockyard And English Harbour, Once A Port Of Royal Navy And Now A Yachting Centre Of The Caribbean. The Dockyard Has Been Restored As A Spot Of Historic Beauty And Interest.
Admiral's Inn consists of three buildings situated in a secluded section of historic Nelson's Dockyard at English Harbour, on the south coast of Antigua. The main building is a three-story Georgian brick structure with a spacious terrace looking out over the water and the yachts lying at anchor.
Each room has a private bathroom with shower. Most are furnished with two twin beds, but three of the superior rooms have one queen bed. The annex rooms each have a small patio and garden entranceway, while the front rooms in the main building have a nice view out over the harbour. Air-conditioning and telephone in rooms at the superior and moderate rate categories, while all other rooms are cooled by ceiling fans.
The building was planned in 1785 (the year after Nelson arrived in English Harbour as Captain of HMS BOREAS) and completed in 1788.
The ground floor was used to store pitch, turpentine and lead, and there were offices for the engineers of the Dockyard upstairs.
The brick passageway at the entrance divided brick-lined pits used for storing the pitch, which was in barrels. Some original pitch marks may still be seen at the foot of the stairs. The bricks used in the building were brought over from England as ship's ballast, and it is said that the ballast used on the return trip was mostly rum. The ship's plan behind the bar is of Nelson's ship, H M S BOREAS (meaning "the North Wind), a 142 foot 28 gun frigate built at Hull. This plan is a photographic copy of the original Admiralty draft of this vessel.
Every ship had to leave a draft submitted to their Lordships of the Admiralty for approval of design. The frame surrounding the plans is of lignum vitae, and is an original door frame from one of the entrances to the building.
The plans of this building may be seen in the museum. The roof was destroyed by earthquake in 1871, and concrete caps were placed on each pillar to prevent erosion. If you are interested in the progress of the restoration of the rest of this historic Dockyard, please visit the office of the National Park Authority, upstairs in the museum building Officer's Quarterad to accept any donations and give information.
Each guest is asked to pay a small fee to enter the Dockyard initially. This will be added to your bill and paid to the National Park Authority.
The round pillars on the grounds once supported a large boat house with a sail loft above."
Golf Course: No
All Inclusive: No
Family Friendly: No
Internet Access: Yes
Hotel Type: Hotel and Resort
Price Range Per Night: $125 - 200
Address: PO Box 713, St. John's, English Harbour, Antigua
Country: Antigua and Barbuda
Phone 1: (268) 460-1153/(800) 223-5695
Disclaimer: Information about specific Caribbean hotels including pricing and availability is subject to change at any time. Government taxes and fees may apply to hotel rates, and varies by country. A minimum stay and/or a damage deposit may be required for some hotels and/or timeshare properties, especially during the high season and holidays.