HOME > Isla Mujeres MAIN PAGE > Isla Mujeres GENERAL INFO
Isla Mujeres , Mexico - General Information
Main Page
See & Do
Wine & Dine
Travel Info


New Providence        
Grand Bahama          
Out Islands              
St Thomas               
St Croix              
St John               

Caribbean Islands: Travel and Destination Guides
Subscribe here
for the latest
Caribbean vacation specials!!Caribbean Islands: Travel and Destination Guides


Isla Mujeres , Mexico | General Information

General Info, Travel Info, & FAQs are provided to assist with your vacation.

Not all ATMs in the Caribbean operate like those in your home country. Some may only accept a four digit PIN number, so if yours is longer you may want to change it before your trip. Ensure you keep your travel money in your primary chequing account as some ATMs default to this account and will not allow you to choose another. Withdrawal fees are generally much higher outside your home country.

ATMs are called cajeros. The only bank on Isla Mujeres is HSBC (tel 998/877-0104), which is located on Ave Rueda Medina. HSBC ATMs accept Visa and MasterCard and dispense Mexican pesos. Some may dispense US dollars. Be quick removing your card otherwise the machine may keep it.

HSBC is open Mon-Fri 8:30am-6pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Predominantly Roman Catholic.

The local currency is the Mexican peso (Mex$ or MXN), which is divided into 100 centavos (cents). Paper money runs in denominations of $10, $20, $50, $100, $200 and $500 notes, and coins in 5¢, 10¢, 20¢ 50¢, $1, $2, $5, $10, $20 and $50 pieces. Notes in $100 and $200 are most commonly used. It?s hard to obtain change for $500 notes. Ensure you carry coins in smaller denominations of pesos as many vendors don?t have change.

Note: Mexico uses the ?$? sign to denote pesos. Many tourist businesses, such as hotels and dive shops, post their prices in US dollars, while local businesses general post their prices in pesos. Ensure you confirm which currency is being used.

Many shops, hotels and restaurants accept US dollars, major credit cards (American Express, MasterCard and Visa) and, to a lesser degree, traveller?s cheques. To ensure hassle-free purchases during your trip, you may want to contact your credit card company and let them know you will be travelling abroad.

Exchange houses are known as casas de cambio.

American Express: lost or stolen card, 336/393-1111 (call collect); lost or stolen cheques or cheque cards, 866/247-6878 (toll free) or 801/964-6665 (call collect)
Discover Card: 801/902-3100
MasterCard: 800/307-7309
Visa: 410/581-9994 (call collect)
Western Union: HSBC, 877-0104

All visitors must pay a departure tax of about US$13 and a tourism tax of about US$8.50. It is usually included in your airfare, so check in advance. If it is not, you must pay it in cash at the airport.

A valid passport is preferred and ensures faster processing through immigration; however, American and Canadian citizens can also use proof of citizenship (such as a certified, not photocopied, birth certificate, Naturalization Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or a Certificate of Citizenship) and valid official photo identification (such as a driver?s license).

?Upon entry into Mexico all visitors must provide a completed tourist card, known as an FM-T, which is provided by the airlines or at points of entry. The cost for the tourist card is usually included in the price of your airline ticket.

Single/lone parents or other adults travelling alone with children must provide a notarized letter from the absent parent/guardian authorizing consent for the children to travel.

For more information consult your nearest Mexico consulate/embassy or call the Mexico immigration office in Cancun (52-998/884-1749).

As of January 23, 2007, all persons travelling by air, and as of January 1, 2008, all person travelling by land or sea (including ferries) to the Caribbean, Central and South America, Mexico and Bermuda will require a valid passport or other documents as determined by the US Department of Homeland Security to enter and/or re-enter the United States in accordance with the US Government?s Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. For more information visit the US Government?s Bureau of Consular Affairs website at www.travel.state.gov.

Some countries require single/lone parents or other adults travelling alone with children to provide documents showing evidence of parental/custodial and/or access rights, and/or documents authorizing consent from the parents, legal guardian, and/or the court for the children to travel. Parents of adopted children, particularly those of a different nationality, should carry the proper documents.

British Embassy: 55/5242-8500 (Mexico City)
Consulate of Canada: 998/883-3360 (Cancun), 01-800-706-2900 (Embassy in Mexico City, and for after-hours emergencies), 800/514-0129 (toll free to Ottawa) or 613/996-8885 (collect to Ottawa)
US Consular Agency: 998/883-0272 (Cancun), 55/5080-2000 (Embassy in Mexico City)

EXCHANGE RATES????????????????????????????????????
As of September 13, 2007US$Mex$/MXN
British pound sterling2.0321722.51919
Canadian dollar0.9609310.64839
European Union euro1.3864415.36363
Japanese yen0.0087630.09711
Swiss franc0.843099.34252
US dollar--11.08135

Medical facilities on Isla Mujeres include the Health Center/Centro de Salud (tel 877-0117), the Naval Hospital (tel 877-0001) and the Red Cross/Cruz Roja (877-0280), as well as a hyperbaric chamber (tel 877-0819). Additionally, Dr Antonio Salas (tel 877-0021) is an English-speaking doctor with a private general medicine practice.

Your home medical program may not provide payment for medical services outside your home country. Obtaining adequate medical/travel insurance, including air ambulance coverage, and consulting a physician or travel medicine specialist six to eight weeks prior to your trip to determine health risks and necessary vaccinations is recommended. Be prepared to pay for medical care yourself and seek an insurance refund when you return home, as many medical facilities will not deal directly with insurance companies.

Pharmacies, called farmacias, are well stocked; however, prescription and over-the-counter medications may have minor differences from those you obtain at home.?

Traveller?s diarrhea is the main health risk for tourists. Unless you?re in a hotel with a water purification system you trust, avoid tap water (use bottled water to brush your teeth), ice cubes, raw fruits and vegetables washed in tap water, unpasteurized milk and milk products, raw fish and seafood, and food from roadside vendors, including ice cream and sorbet.?

Emergency phone numbers:
For all emergencies, 060
Police, 877-0458

There are harsh penalties for possession, use or trafficking in illegal drugs, and strict regulations for exporting or temporarily importing firearms, ammunition and weapons.

Prohibited items include narcotics; insecticides; live predator fish of any size; stamps, stickers, drawings, illustrations or printed materials representing children in a denigrated or ridiculous way, or inciting violence; earth, straw, padded containers of hay and straw decorations without processing; homemade foods; flours of animal origin; and fresh, dry, canned or frozen meat and meat products.

For more information call the customs department (Aduanas Mexico) in Mexico City at 52-55/5802-0836 or 5802-0839, or Customs House in Isla Mujeres at 52-998/877-0189.

The official language is Spanish. In main tourist areas some people speak rudimentary English.

The Mexican postal service is called SEPOMEX (tel 01-800-701-4500). The post office (called correo) in Isla Mujeres (tel 872-0085) is located on Ave Guerrero and is open Mon-Fri 9am-3pm. Stamps are called estampillas. The Mexican postal system can be slow. Courier service is also available.?

- Jan 1, New Year?s Day (Año Nuevo)
?- Feb (first Mon), Constitution Day (Día de la Constitución)
?- Mar (third Mon), Anniversary of Benito Juárez?s birth (Natalicio de Benito Juárez)
?- Mar/Apr (varies), Maundy or Holy Thursday (Jueves Santo)
?- Mar/Apr (varies), Good Friday (Viernes Santo)
?- May 1, Labour Day (Día del Trabajo)
?- May 5, Anniversary of the Battle of Puebla (Aniversario de la Batalla de Puebla/Cinco de Mayo)
- Sept 1, President?s Report Day
?- Sept 16, Independence Day (Día de la Independencia)
- Oct 12, Race Day (Día de la Raza)
?- Nov 2, Day of the Dead (Día de los Fieles Difuntos)
?- Nov (third Mon), Anniversary of the Mexican Revolution of 1910 (Aniversario de la Revolución Mexicana)
?- Dec 12, Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe)
?- Dec 25, Christmas Day (Día de Navidad)

Tourist shops are generally open Mon-Sat 9/10am-8/9pm. Many also open Sun 9/10/11am-4/5pm. Many close for several hours in the early afternoon (usually 1/2-4/5pm).

A 10% value-added tax (VAT), called IVA (impuesto de valor agregado), is added to all goods and services, including hotel and restaurant bills. A 2% hotel tax is also added to most room bills.

Upon departure, international tourists can receive a refund on the VAT they paid on merchandise by presenting their receipts (valued at a minimum of 1,200 pesos) to customs for verification.

The phone system in Mexico is adequate and cellular and Internet services are available. To find an Internet café look for signs that say Acceso a Internet, Cibercafe or Cibernautica.?

The country code for Mexico is 52 and the area code for Isla Mujeres (and Cancun) is 998. Local Isla Mujeres phone numbers have seven digits while local numbers in some major cities, such as Mexico City, have eight digits. For local directory assistance dial 040 and for the national long distance operator dial 020. To make a long distance call from a public phone dial 090. To place an international call dial 00 + country code + area code + local number. To make a local call within Isla Mujeres just dial the seven digit number. To call a Mexican cell phone number dial 044 + area code + local number. To call long distance within Mexico dial 01 + area code + local number.

Telefonos de Mexico (Telmex) is the country?s national telecommunications company. Public pay phones do not accept coins. Prepaid Multifon cards, which allow you to make local and long distance calls from any public telephone, as well as offering prepaid Internet access, are available at Telmex stores (tel 01-800-123-0101) and authorized dealers, such as newsstands and convenience stores, displaying the Multifon logo. Insert the card into the slot, press ?abc? to switch the instructions to English, and follow the voice prompts. Telmex/Ladatel phone booths offer the best rates for making long distance calls. Rates are extremely high when using credit cards, hotel phones, or when making collect calls.

For more information see the section in FAQs: Can I use my calling card from here?

Not all US and Canadian toll-free 800 numbers work in Mexico. If you?re willing to pay the regular phone rate dial 001-880 instead of 1-800, 001-881 instead of 1-888, 001-882 instead of 1-877 and 001-883 instead of 1-866.

There are a number of Internet cafés on the island, including DigaMe, located on Ave Guerrero between Matamoros and Abasolo, which also offers private booths for making long distance calls.?

Cellular service is available all over Mexico. Check with your service provider to see if they have a roaming agreement with a company in Mexico.

The average temperature in Isla Mujeres is 80°F with 60% humidity. Mexico?s rainy season is May-Oct.

Isla Mujeres is on Central Standard Time, which is six hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Daylight savings time is observed.

Disclaimer: Information is provided as a service to visitors and is updated regularly. All information should be verified prior to travel.

  Accommodations - hotels, marinas, rentals, more
New Providence hotels  
Grand Bahama hotels  
Abaco hotels    
Out Islands hotels